Hope’s sister calls him a rabbit because he is always chewing carrots and green stuff.
Living in a family of carnivores is a challenge, but Hope is determined to stick to his principles and healthy vegetarian diet. “People are unaware, they do not realise the cruelty of meat production,” he says. He also avoids sugar, salt and too much oil which does make it difficult to eat with his family who prefer a less healthy diet. He has always loved gardening so growing his own food and helping others to create gardens comes easily. “I feel free in the garden,” he says quietly.
Hope’s Roti Recipe
- Mix cake flour and water to make a wet batter
- Grease your pan and heat the pan
- Pour in just enough batter to cover the base of the pan
- Cook for 2 minutes, turn over and cook the other side for two to three minutes
- Serve with beans and potatoes, or yellow dahl and salad.
Hope’s roti, would also be delicious served with this Quick Bean Curry which serves two:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 chilli chopped
- 3 tbls oil
- 1 tbls curry powder
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 can of baked beans
- Heat oil and fry the chopped vegetables with the curry powder. Add the baked beans to warm through.